For bakers, the King Arthur roadshow is like the circus coming to town–coupons, door prizes, and expert tips and the opportunity to commune with fellow flour heads in a hotel ballroom.
Beneath the world’s ugliest chandeliers we learned how to make Perfect Pies and Tarts, beginning with a classic medium flake crust. Here are a few tips I picked up:
- We really should be weighing our flour–about 4 ounces of KA all purpose flour equals a cup.
- If you won’t weigh, then sprinkle the flour into your measuring cup and swipe it smooth.
- Vermont wisdom: You can use a dough scraper to clean ice off your windshield and may flies off your headlights.
- Butter has milk solids that brown and add color and flavor to your crust.
- Mix up the apples in your pie–some tart, some sweet, some firm, some mushy.
No excuses this year for store bought crust–making it yourself it easy and so much better!